Monday, August 1, 2011

Author Interview Series - "Kid Stuff"

Of recent, I have discussed on this site the topic of writing children’s books. There are so many writers who enjoy story-telling in book form that I thought it would seem appropriate to next interview one who has actually published their children’s book.

Ryan J. Cunningham is here with us today to talk about his new book, Gary’s Gray World, released just this month.

Carol Denbow: Greetings Ryan, thank you for joining us. Wow! Congratulations! You did it! I’m sure I speak for all visitors to this site when I say, good for you! So many only dream of what you have accomplished, and accomplished very well I might add.

Can you please start by telling us a little about Gary’s Gray World. What’s the book about?

Ryan J. Cunningham: When Gary's father is too busy to play, a scary moment at the baseball field brings his dad rushing to the park to rescue him. But instead the two discover that making time for each other is the most important thing in a father and son relationship.

Carol Denbow: That’s great. So there is a “lesson” inside this book. We all can become so wrapped up in our everyday business that we neglect our kids from time to time. Personally, I feel every children’s story should make a statement since our little ones absorb so much that generates what kind of person they will be as an adult before they are even six years old!

You have other published work, poems as well. Do you always try to make a positive statement when you write?

Ryan J. Cunningham: My other children’s stories and majority of my poems do portray inspirational, positive messages. However I have written some dark and depressing poems as well.

Carol Denbow: The artwork in your book is amazing; bright colors and incredible graphics. As talented a writer as you are, I do know you did not do the artwork yourself. How did you locate a professional artist for your book and how did you know they were the one that would work best for you?

Ryan J. Cunningham: I found the artist, Chrissy Fanslau, through a networking website for writers and illustrators called jacketflap.com. Chrissy’s artwork stood out from others I researched with her descriptive and life-like facial expressions in her characters.

Carol Denbow: Did you “buy” the images from the artist, or agree to “split” book proceeds with them?

Ryan J. Cunningham: Yes, I bought the images from Chrissy.

Carol Denbow: Were the images expensive and within your budget?

Ryan J. Cunningham: You pay for quality and her talented artwork just felt right for my story.

Carol Denbow: How did you determine how many images you would need for the story?

Ryan J. Cunningham: I e-mailed Chrissy the manuscript and with her expertise and knowledge in children’s books I let her decide on how many images were needed and what she wanted to draw.

Carol Denbow: How long did it take from the time you wrote this story until you actually were able to hold the physical book in your hand?

Ryan J. Cunningham: It’s been about twelve years from the time I first wrote this story and re-wrote this story to its final stage of being in print.

Carol Denbow: Wow, long time! Well Ryan, we’re very happy for you! I can honestly say, this book is PERFECT for working parents to read to their children (and themselves). It reinforces the importance of love and bonding between fathers and sons. Please tell our readers where they can buy your book?

Ryan J. Cunningham: Basically, the book is available anywhere fine books are sold—just ask. But these are the online links: Amazon.com. Even Kindle, and
B & N Nook Book.

You can read more about myself and Gary’s Gray World at my website Imagination—Inspiration.

Carol Denbow: What a pleasure to have you here for this interview. Thank you so much for joining us. Any final thoughts?

Ryan J. Cunningham: They say, “Timing is everything.” I don’t know who “they” are, but this is obviously the right time for my story, Gary’s Gray World to be told. I am grateful for meeting you and working on this book project together.

Carol Denbow: As always, comments are very welcomed. Please use the comment box below. If you have a question for Ryan, you can include that as well as he has generously offered to answer them for you.

Folks, in this day and age, this book may be perfect for your child or grandchild. A book with a message, good choice!

Gary's Gray World, ISBN 13: 978-1463670160

1 comment:

ivy cruz said...

I like this article. I have a daughter already and i love kid stuff! want to build backlinks or building backlinks? try at www.rankexperts.com